Top tips for evaluating a volunteering opportunity
When volunteering it is important that you know what is expected of you in that role and what you can expect from the organisation. Below we list some ideas to what questions you should ask to find out if the role is right for you.
- Ask questions about the organisation – their cause, strategy, governance and how the organisation manages volunteers.
- Ask questions about the volunteering role or project and ask about their procedures for induction, on-going training and expenses.
- Ask questions about the application process.
- Think about the skills and experience you have to offer and the skills or experience you want to gain.
- Think about your availability. How much time are you able to commit and when? Can you attend regular meetings or would a short project suit you better?
- Remember that you will be expected to do your best as a volunteer and be competent in your volunteering role. This is especially important for ICAEW Chartered Accountants (see Code of Ethics-Part A).