Pic: Pavil Danilyuk, Pexels
Reach Volunteering has recently launched a website to support trustees with free guidance and tools to actively manage the board recruitment cycle and to increase diversity.
Many charities recruit most of their trustees through word-of-mouth and existing networks. Open recruitment processes allow charities to attract new people with a broader range of lived experience and perspectives to give the board the right combination of skills and experience that it needs for the future. The Charity Governance Code’s board effectiveness principle echoes the recommendation of a formal and transparent procedure to appoint new trustees to the board, which includes advertising vacancies widely.
Whether you are currently recruiting volunteers or planning ahead, the website will offer insights from those who have been involved in recruiting boards and will help you plan the process.
The resources were created in partnership with the Association of Chairs, Small Charities Coalition and Getting on Board, and divide the recruitment cycle into six stages:
- Reflect: Identify the mix of skills and experience your board needs to lead your charity
- Prepare: Plan your recruitment process, draw up a trustee role description, and get ready to engage with candidates
- Advertise: Create a trustee advert to attract the candidates you want and share it widely
- Shortlist and interview: Choose the person who will strengthen your trustee board
- Appoint and induct: Formally appoint your new trustee and support them with a good induction
- Evaluate: Learn from your trustee recruitment process and lay strong foundations for future recruitment
The resources are designed so that charities can look at relevant sections, or work through the whole recruitment process from beginning to end. They also encourage boards to consider how increased diversity could benefit board performance.
ICAEW Volunteers connects charities with finance professionals looking for volunteer roles and all charities and non-profits can advertise trustee vacancies and other volunteering roles free of charge.
Click here to access: The Trustee Recruitment Cycle | Reach Volunteering