Somerset Climate Action Network’s vision is for Somerset to be net carbon neutral by 2030 and is dedicated to enabling the changes needed to drive down emissions whilst adapting to existing climate change. We want Somerset CAN to be a resource for all aspects of local climate action, both climate mitigation and adaptation.
We have successfully completed several consulting engagements for Somerset County Council and districts, and received grants towards our objectives.
Somerset Climate Action Network is run as a community benefit society by a Board of Directors and supported by a freelance Network Development Co-ordinator.
We are looking for a qualified accountant who has, or wants to gain, board-level experience in a charitable, community-based organisation and who is committed to tackling climate change. This position is offered on a voluntary basis for an initial term of one year, however longer-term involvement would be encouraged. There is wide flexibility in how you can perform the role and contribute to the success of Somerset Climate Action Network.
Every other month, the Board meets virtually to steer the strategic direction of Somerset Climate Action Network, review and take decisions on key issues. On the months inbetween there are less formal progress and planning meetings.
As Treasurer, your main responsibilities will be to:
- Provide financially focused support and guidance to the Board to ensure that Somerset Climate Action Network remains a going concern and delivers on its not-for-profit objectives
- Ensure financial processes run smoothly, e.g. make payments (one or two invoices per month), maintain accounts (in a spreadsheet), track spend against grants, produce finance summaries for board meetings, complete quarterly VAT returns (from August 2022, we need to comply with Making Tax Digital. This will be in place), oversee annual corporation tax return, maintain insurance
- Prepare the financial statements and arrange a lay audit
- Support grant applications, be responsible for determining the correct accounting treatment for grants awarded, and completing reports to our funders
- Liaise with the Secretary to ensure returns and financial statements are filed with the Financial Conduct Authority on time
We would love to hear from anyone who is interested in hearing more about the role, or applying for it. Our chair and incumbent ACA-qualified finance lead will be happy to discuss the role in more detail; they will also be available following the appointment to ensure a detailed and well-supported handover. Please get in touch with us by emailing our Chair, Steve Mewes, (firstname.lastname@example.org) with some details about yourself and a copy of your CV.