Come and help us ensure that the views of patients, users, carers and the public help shape the way local health and social care services are developing.
You will enjoy the opportunity to work with such a diverse range of local people and organisations, both statutory and voluntary.
Who are we?
Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames (HWK) is the independent champion for people who use health and social care services in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.
We are part of a national network of 150 local Healthwatches, set up by the Health and Social Care Act 2012, and core-funded through contract by our local authority.
Our Mission Statement: To ensure the public’s voice is heard and influences the design and delivery of both health and social care services in Kingston upon Thames and surrounding areas.
For further information about the work of HWK, please see our website www.healthwatchkingston.org.uk
HWK is a charitable company, so Board members are both charity trustees and company directors.
The Board is responsible for decisions on the organisation’s mission, strategy, priorities, use of resources, financial management, fundraising, policies & procedures and the management and support of a small staff team.
We look to Board members to demonstrate:
- A commitment to the aims of Healthwatch Kingston
- A commitment to upholding the Nolan principles for conduct in public life: respect, openness and accountability, best interests and objectivity, integrity and leadership
- An ability to understand, analyse, interpret and absorb complex information
- An ability to think creatively and criticise constructively
- Good, independent judgement, objectivity and impartiality
- An ability to work as a member of a team, while contributing an independent perspective
The Board meets every 3 months but Board members are also expecting to read and respond to emails on a regular basis.
Role of Treasurer
We are looking for a new person to take on the role of Treasurer from Autumn 2022.
The general responsibilities of the Treasurer, working in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer, are to:
- Oversee the financial affairs of Healthwatch Kingston, ensuring – with other Board members - that they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice
- Ensure effective financial procedures are in place
- Ensure proper records are kept
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation
- Oversee the production of financial reports/returns, accounts and audits
To give an idea of scale, HWK’s budgeted expenditure for 2022/23 is just over £200k and HWK employs 6 staff (1 full-time, 5 part-time).
Specific skills needed for this role are the ability to
- use Excel for financial management purposes
- prepare budgets
- prepare financial reports for the Board
- analyse new proposals to examine their financial implications
For a copy of our detailed profile for the role of Treasurer, or for any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org putting ‘HWK Treasurer’ in the subject field.
To express interest in the role
Please send your CV with a short email explaining why you are interested to email@example.com putting ‘HWK Treasurer’ in the subject field.