We’re seeking a Trustee with financial expertise
Orbis is an international eye care charity that prevents and treats avoidable blindness and visual impairment.
Globally 1.1 billion people live with vision loss, including blindness, and over 90% of it is avoidable. We screen for and treat eye conditions, raise awareness about eye health, and train and mentor local eye care teams in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
In addition to our long-term country programmes, Orbis operates the Flying Eye Hospital, a state-of-the-art ophthalmic teaching hospital on board a customised aircraft.
Orbis UK which is an affiliate of Orbis International is seeking to appoint a Trustee with substantial financial experience at senior or executive level. We are particularly interested in hearing from qualified accountants with a recognised accounting and finance qualification. The role involves:
- ensuring that Orbis UK is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit
- ensuring that Orbis UK is complying with its governing document and the law
- preparing for and attending board meetings and sub-committee meetings
- supporting the Orbis UK staff team
- attending occasional evening events
- To contribute actively to the board of Trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to Orbis UK, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance
- To ensure that Orbis UK complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that Orbis UK pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure Orbis UK uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- To ensure that Orbis UK conducts its activities within a clear moral context
- To safeguard the good name and values of Orbis UK
- To ensure the financial stability and effective and efficient administration of Orbis UK
- To oversee the management of Orbis UK’s assets and ensure the proper use of Orbis UK's funds
- To appoint the Chief Executive and monitor his/her performance
We are building the board of the future to ensure Orbis UK is representative, skilled and equipped to meet future challenges. With our commitment to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation, we actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Apply for We’re seeking a Trustee with financial expertise
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly