Organisation: You Make It
Role: Treasurer on our volunteer board of trustees
Reporting to: Chair of trustees
Hours: 4-6 hours per month, including meetings
Location: Meetings are either remote or London-based
Length of term: 3 years subject to renewal
You Make It (YMI) is a dynamic, award winning and evolving charity that runs 4 month long holistic empowerment programmes for young unemployed and underemployed women largely from Hackney and Tower Hamlets. Over 90% of our women are Black and Asian, and all are from working class backgrounds. Our programmes equip women with the confidence, professional networks, experiences, skills and attitude needed to achieve financial independence and greater integration in our ever-exciting capital. In this climate of lockdowns, the women we work with, already isolated and often suffering from mental health issues, need us more than ever. Responsive as ever, we’ve adapted our services to deliver an essential online offering until we can go back to face-to-face provision.
We have continued to grow rapidly since our formation by the CEO in 2011 and have continued to generate incredible support from a range of funders, including the National Lottery Community Fund, for our core empowerment programmes for women. In addition, we are focused on dismantling racism while generating earned income and ensuring the long-term financial sustainability of YMI through You Change It – a successful anti-racism allyship initiative aimed at employers and pioneered by our CEO last summer.
Our passion for our work is boundless. Year after year, we prove to have a real impact. Our YouTube channel will give you a sense of what we do, all the amazing people and places we work with, and those people we benefit from.
Role and candidate overview
Women from minoritized communities are underrepresented at the board level, so we are especially keen to hear from trustees that reflect the diversity of women in YMI exists for. As a trustee, you must be aligned with our core values: self-empowerment, integrity, social equality, dynamism and creativity.
We’re looking for a voluntary Treasurer with senior finance expertise, supported by an accounting qualification (CIMA, ACA, ACCA, ATT or similar) or equivalent professional experience. You’ll either already be knowledgeable about the financial issues and frameworks specific to the charity sector or capable of quickly building a solid understanding of these. You’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate a clear passion for our mission of empowering young women to succeed in the social, cultural and economic life of their home cities, as well as our commitment to dismantling racism through our You Change It ally-ship programme for employers
- Share our passion for equality and social justice, change, creativity and self-empowerment
- Establish a trusting and supportive relationship with the founding CEO, the freelance Finance Manager, other trustees and staff
- Keep abreast of financial reporting requirements and responsibilities relevant to the charity sector and ensure the board remains aware of its financial governance responsibilities.
- Maintain an overview of our organisation's affairs, ensuring its financial viability and ensuring that appropriate budgets, reports, financial records, policies and procedures are maintained
- Advise on the financial implications of the organisation's strategic plan
- Review quarterly financial reports prepared by the team and present them to the board
- Review and advise on larger funding applications and reports to funders, as needed, including occasional attendance at meetings with funders
- Use your experience and expertise to inform the annual staff remuneration review process
- Ensure that the organisation's statutory accounts are prepared in a suitable format and are independently examined as required by law
- Liaise with the Chair and other trustees, CEO, and freelance Finance Manager about financial matters and other matters of good charity governance
To apply, please send a CV along with covering letter explaining why you would like to get behind our mission
Apply for Treasurer Trustee
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly