Trustee - Care Services
halow project is a Guildford-based charity that supports around 200 young adults with learning disabilities to live the life they choose as independently as possible. We are community-based, with many of our services interwoven into the fabric of our service user’s communities.
Our Care service is registered with the Care Quality Commission and comprises a small amount of low occupancy supported living houses in the local area, as well as a 1:1 outreach service to support young adults in their community. We are committed to providing exceptional support by putting our core values at the heart of everything we do:
- Exceptionally Person-Centred
- Ambitious For Young People
- Problem Solving
- Empathy & Understanding
- Encouraging & Positive
The role of Trustee
We are currently seeking a Trustee to join us and bring with them proven experience in the Care Charity sector. We have also recently welcomed a trustee with significant HR experience, and a trustee with significant Fundraising experience. Although we are seeking Care experience, it should be recognised that our services often overlap to offer our young adults an enriched pathway.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real difference in a well-regarded, supportive and rewarding charity, backed up by an enthusiastic and caring team.
Responsibilities of the role
- The Board meets 5 times per year. We also want you to join our Quality and Innovation Subcommittee, which meets 4 times per year. Meeting in person is preferable, but it would be possible to join occasional meetings remotely.
- As well as through these meetings, we would like you to provide further support and guidance to all aspects of our Care services. There is not a huge time commitment here, but we would like you to be approachable when we need you.
What qualities, skills and experience we are looking for
- Evidenced experience working in a Charity that delivers Care services.
- Demonstratable experience of high quality and innovation / change. This could, or could not, involve a clear CQC element.
- Knowledge or experience of best practice working within Care regulatory guidelines, including safeguarding.
- Ability to think strategically and contribute to the long-term strategy and growth of halow’s Care services.
- Ability to analyse and evaluate information to provide constructive and beneficial challenge.
- Willingness to commit to the time required for the position.
- Commitment to exemplifying halow’s values through your work, communication, and representation of the charity.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties and responsibilities of being a Trustee.
- Previous Trustee experience is advantageous but not essential.
We encourage applications from any under-represented groups, which may include people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, people living with disabilities, individuals who have not previously held Trustee positions and from younger people who may not have had previous Board experience but have the required personal attributes, skills and enthusiasm for the role.
Our governance meetings are usually 2 hours in length, so the average monthly commitment through meetings (nine across Board and subcommittee) is 1.5 hours. Currently, most of our meetings start at 4.00pm.
Additional time commitment is hard to quantify, in some months it would be zero, and in others it would likely not exceed a few hours per month, around clear strategic tasks.
Whilst our Trustee roles are unremunerated positions, reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed by the charity.
Our offices are based in central Guildford and are easily accessible by car or public transport, with numerous car parks within walking distance along with Guildford bus and train stations.
Apply for Trustee - Care Services
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly