Outline: The Chair will lead the Board of Trustees, ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities within the County. The Chair will work closely with the County Commissioner to achieve the purpose of The Scout Association through the development of local Scouting, in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
Responsible for: Board of Trustees members.
Responsible to: Devon County Scout Council.
Appointment requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association's policies). It expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
The responsibilities of the Chair:
- Objectively and impartially chairing and facilitating Trustees meetings.
- Acting as the Chair of Devon County Scout Council.
- Planning the annual cycle of Trustees Committee meetings and setting the agenda for Trustees Committee meetings.
- Monitoring that decisions and actions agreed at Trustees Committee meetings are implemented.
- Working closely with the County Commissioner to ensure there are long term and short term goals and the role the Board of Trustees can play in helping to achieve these.
- Providing direction for the Board of Trustees.
- Ensuring that all members of the Board of Trustees have been briefed and inducted into their roles, receive appropriate training, and are aware of their status as charity trustees.
- Addressing and resolving conflicts that arise.
- Membership and attendance of any working groups or sub-Committees set up by the Board of Trustees, where appropriate.
- For County Chair, acting as the final appeal point for appointment disagreements between the Appointments Advisory Committee and County
General Board of Trustees responsibilities:
- To be a full and active participant in Trustees meetings and activities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of the Board of Trustees as outlined in The Scout Association’s Policy Organisation and Rules.
- Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the County.
- Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the County.
- An understanding of their own role, and the role of others on the Board of Trustees.
- A commitment to understanding and forming opinions on the key discussion points and responsibilities of the Board of Trustees.
- Willingness to complete various tasks which support the work of the Board of Trustees and aims of the County.
Skills for a Chair:
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Able to think creatively and solve problems
- Able to motivate others and encourage participation
- Able to handle and resolve conflict effectively
- Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others.
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement
- Willing to actively design and contribute to the strategic vision of the County
- Willingness to take decisions which will further the work of the County
Other tasks agreed with the Line Manager
Apply for County Chair
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly