Tackle Prostate Cancer is looking for a Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees. We are the only patient-led, UK-wide charity representing people with Prostate Cancer and those who care for them. We support people and those affected by Prostate Cancer through our network of over 95 Prostate Cancer Support Groups.
Tackle Prostate Cancer, registered as The National Federation of Prostate Cancer Support Groups charity (Charity No.: 1163152) became a charity in 2008, however the history of our federation started with our pioneering support groups in the mid-1990s. The activities of the charity are governed by the Board of Trustees all of whom are Directors. The Board meets four times a year and devolves responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day running of the organisation to the Chairman, Secretary, and specific Trustee responsible for overseeing key strategic matters such as finance.
Tackle Prostate Cancer has undergone a period of significant change in recent years, with a successful three-year grant from The Lottery Fund and a revised three-year strategic plan that aims to increase our reach and impact amongst our member groups across the country and our voice across the cancer landscape.
With a long-standing board member reaching the end of their term of office, and with an expansion of projects placing more emphasis on our fundraising strategy, we are now looking to recruit a Treasurer to help guide us through the next chapter.
We are looking for individuals who have a strong interest in Tackle’s work and a passion for supporting men’s health and improving user involvement in cancer care. Candidates should possess a positive, ‘can-do’ outlook as well as a good sense of humour. You will be joining us at a pivotal point in our history, with the potential to make a real difference to people living with and affected by prostate cancer
The Treasurer will
- Oversee Tackle’s financial affairs and ensure they continue to be legal, constitutional, and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place relating to the charity's core operations, including budgeting, cashflow management, and payroll.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
- Make recommendations on changes to banking systems, financial procedures, investments and reserves to support the development of Tackle’s work.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the charity and its projects.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- With the Secretary, co-ordinate the submission to the Charity Commission and HMRC
- Regularly oversee regular reconciliations by the Executive Team.
- Knowledge and experience of current finance practice relevant to charity organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management (as necessary).
- Good financial analysis skills.
- An awareness of finance within the context of theatre productions.
- Ability to communicate clearly. Familiarity with video-conferencing (via Zoom or Teams) would be advantageous but appropriate training could be arranged
- Knowledge of our current accounting system (Xero) would be advantageous but appropriate training could be arranged
The charity has grown considerably in terms of reach, funding and output in recent years. We have robust financial procedures in place, and we are looking for an individual to help us to maintain and advance these as our organisation develops. This is a key role in our organisation and one that is crucial to our development going forwards. As our reach grows, we want to ensure that we remain on track of our finances and a model of best practice within the charity sector.
Tackle Prostate Cancer aims to be an equal opportunities organisation and we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race. As a user-led organisation, working in areas of low cultural opportunity, we are particularly keen to hear from candidates with no prior trustee experience and from those with experience of living or working in prostate cancer.
If you are interested in applying for this position please provide your CV along with a cover letter .
Closing date: 30th September 2022
Interviews to be held mid October 2022
Start date: 1st December 2022