Volunteer Treasurer with Spelthorne District Scouts in Surrey
- Spelthorne District Scouts (Surrey)
- Ashford, Surrey (GB)
- This is a volunteer role
- Closing date
- 1 Oct 2022
- Charity and not for profit, Community
- Salary band
- Where will they be working?
- From home
This is a great opportunity to support Scouting across Spelthorne in Surrey as our District Treasurer.
Spelthorne District Scouts supports over 11 groups who provide a weekly program of Scouting activities for over 900 young people aged 6-25 in the towns and villages of Ashford, Laleham, Sunbury-On-Thames, Shepperton, Staines-upon-Thames and Stanwell.
As each group has their own treasurer, the role of the District Treasurer is straightforward. The current role holder spends about an hour a month volunteering as transactions are typically less than 10 electronic processing & payments a month.
The District Treasurer role is needed to provide sound financial administration, support and information to the Executive Committee and District in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
Aims of Scouting: Scouting exists to actively engage and support young people in their personal development, empowering them to make a positive contribution to society
Responsible to: The Spelthorne District Scout Council.
Appointment requirements: Requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association's policies). It's expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
The Responsibilities of the Treasurer:
- Manage and monitor the financial activities of the District Executive Committee.
- Act as Treasurer for the relevant Scout Council.
- Prepare and present financial reports and accounts to the Executive Committee.
- Leading the Executive Committee in the creation of budgets and financial planning and monitoring of these.
- Ensuring that all financial reports, annual statements of account and supporting documents (including receipts, cheque books and bank statements) are maintained accurately and in accordance with legal regulations.
- Ensuring that the District is financially able to function, has appropriate reserves and accounting procedures and controls in place.
- Prepare the Annual Statement of Accounts for independent examination and approval by the Executive Committee and presenting these at the Annual General Meeting.
- Administering the process of Independent Examination of the Annual Statement of Accounts in accordance with Policy, Organisation and Rules.
- Membership and attendance of any finance working groups or sub-Committees set by the Executive Committee where appropriate.
General Executive Committee Responsibilities:
- To be a full and active participant in Executive Committee meetings and activities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of an Executive Committee as outlined in The Scout Association’s Policy Organisation and Rules.
- Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the District.
- Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the District.
- An understanding of their own role and the role of others on the Executive Committee.
- A commitment to understanding and forming opinions on the key discussion points and responsibilities of the Executive Committee.
- Willingness to complete various tasks which support the work of the Executive Committee and aims of the District.
Skills for a Treasurer:
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Able to think creatively and solve problems
- Previous experience of financial management or the role of a Charity Treasurer
- Able to analyse financial information effectively
- Good IT skills
- Ability to summarise financial information for different audiences
- Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others.
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement
Other tasks agreed with the volunteer Line Manager (District Chair of Trustees)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert