This is an honorary and advisory role open to both members and non-members of the Company and therefore the post holder is not required to become a director of the Company that hosts the trading activities of the Company.
The role involves advising the Finance and general purposes committee of the court on all matters relating to the financial hygiene of the company including budgeting, company structure and regulatory matters. In this they will be assisted in day-to-day bookkeeping by the clerking team and the services of an external firm of accountants. The accounts of the Company are externally audited on an annual basis.
It is not anticipated that this role should be particularly onerous or time consuming, but it is nevertheless extremely important in assisting the company achieve its overall objectives
There are a minimum of four meetings per annum of the F&GP (held remotely) and attendance at court meetings (again four per annum) is preferable and required for a minimum of one meeting at which the annual budget is presented and signed off.
Term of Office
Ideally the Honorary Treasurer is appointed for 3 years with an option to be re-appointed for a further three years.
The Court appoints the Honorary Treasurer to support and advise the Finance and General Purposes committee and the Court on all financial matters relating to the management of the Company of HR Professionals and related entities.
The Treasurer is accountable to the Court of the Company.
The Treasurer is supporting the Clerk and chair of F&GP including the following principal tasks:
- Maintaining an overview of Revenue and saving accounts for the Company
- Providing advice to the F&GP and Clerk on standard accounting procedures including VAT registration, returns to companies’ house
- Providing support and advice on the development of the annual budget
- Monitoring quarterly accounts and liaising with the Clerk and appointed accountants on any queries
- Ensuring that the annual accounts are completed via our accountants and audited where applicable and signed as correct
- Liaising with the Charitable Trust Advising on a potential investment strategy
The ideal candidate will have the relevant technical skills, rigor and good engagement skills, with an interest in the HR Company’s purpose and strategy, supporting an ambitious and exciting journey over the next 3 years.