About Diverse Cymru
Diverse Cymru was created in 2011 through a merger between Cardiff and Vale Coalition of Disabled People and Awetu. We were founded in recognition of the difficulties and discrimination faced by people experiencing inequality in Wales.
We are a unique charity committed to supporting people faced with inequality and discrimination because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
What you will be doing
- Ensure that Diverse Cymru complies with its governing document, charity and company law, internal policies and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Regularly attend Board meetings, and to read papers in advance of meetings and take an active role in partnership with other Trustees and key staff to ensure to the strategic direction of Diverse Cymru
- Ensure that Diverse Cymru pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document; & applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives
- Safeguard the good name and values and independence of Diverse Cymru
- Declare any conflict of interest while carrying out the duties of a Trustee
- Ensure the financial stability of Diverse Cymru
- Make sure Diverse Cymru is properly insured against all reasonable liabilities
- Keep informed about the activities of Diverse Cymru and wider issues which affect its work
- This role is mainly home-based
What are we looking for?
We are looking for new ways of thinking from trustees who can support the charity with its growth strategy and have an empathetic understanding of the issues faced by people who experience inequality either by lived or from professional experience.
Most important is a passion for about making a positive difference working for equality in Wales. However, there are several skill-sets that would benefit our board:
- Business development/business connections Fundraising Healthcare at a regional/local authority level Community work/community development Impact reporting Working with press and media
We pride ourselves on our inclusive recruitment process and organisational culture and, as such, we welcome and encourage applications from people from minority groups and traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.
What difference will you make?
Diverse Cymru are Wales leading pan equalities charity. Alongside our staff and clients, Trustees are a core part of our organisation helping shape the strategic direction of our organisation. As a trustee your knowledge and experience, both life and professional play a valuable role in ensuing Diverse Cymru is an effective and impactful charity to our clients.
Estimate of time needed: 0-5 hours / month
Before you apply
Reach Volunteering's TrusteeWorks team are supporting Diverse Cymru with their Board recruitment.
Please send a short letter outlining:
- Why you are interested in joining our Board.
- Your relevant skills and experience (see 'Who we are looking for'). This can also include any information you wish to share regarding your lived experience that relates to our aim to represent the demographics of our service users.
- How you think you could apply your skills and experience to strengthen our Board.
Please also attach a CV or similar (LinkedIn profile, portfolio etc).