We are looking for a qualified accountant or bookkeeper to undertake the Treasurer's role for RSPCA West Dorset Branch, and to provide financial guidance and direction for the charity.
What will you be doing?
Duties will involve:-
• paying invoices for the branch using BACS payment through online banking
• paying wages for approx. 20 staff via online banking once a month
• overseeing the reconciliation of income and expenditure on Xero (this is undertaken externally, but as Treasurer you would have the overall responsibility of ensuring accuracy)
• producing monthly reports for trustee meetings
• preparing the accounts each year for external audit
• negotiating contracts with new suppliers
• setting budgets
• working with your fellow trustees to provide overall financial direction for the charity
• participating actively in trustee meetings (which are mostly online, once a month) and taking an active role in the governance of the Charity
Required Skills and knowledge:-
• accountancy/bookkeeping qualifications
• working knowledge of Xero (or similar software package)
•IT skills including a good working knowledge of Excel
•strong communication skills
Training and support:-
Training and assistance will be given by the outgoing Treasurer. Most of the work is PC based and you can work from home at your convenience. The role can generally be performed remotely, and most meetings are held online, but we are looking for a Treasurer who lives in or around the Dorset area and wishes to be actively involved with Branch activities.
This role provides an excellent insight into the running of a local charity and is a brilliant opportunity to develop new skills and put existing skills to great use. There are also opportunities to become involved with the animals in our rehoming centre and see how what you do makes a real difference to their lives and future.
What are we looking for?
- accountancy/bookkeeping experience is required.
- working knowledge of Xero or similar software is required
- this is primarily a governance / management role and we are looking for a skilled professional to provide financial direction for the branch.
- committed to animal welfare and the purpose of the charity
- lives in or around the Dorset area and is keen to become active in Branch activities
What difference will you make?
RSPCA West Dorset Branch was established in 1966 and has grown from a small charity re-homing animals from back garden facilities to a charity with 20+ employees spread across the animal centre and three successful charity shops. We are immensely proud of the work we do and are hoping to find a dedicated individual to help us take the charity forward with skill and professionalism.