The role of the Treasurer is to provide oversight and assurance to the Board on financial matters. The Board meets approx every 6 weeks (usually on a Thursday evening).
To work with the Chief Officer and Finance Team to:
• Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
• Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
• Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
• Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
• Liaise with relevant staff and Board members to ensure the financial viability of the organisation (meeting with Chief Officer regularly).
• Make fellow Board members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
• Regularly report in collaboration with the Chief Officer the financial position at board meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc.).
• Oversee with the Chief Officer the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
• Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place
• Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
• Approve appointment of auditors/an independent examiner as necessary.
• Knowledge, experience or willingness to learn about current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
• Knowledge of or willingness to learn about bookkeeping and financial management
• Good data and financial analysis skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly