Kids Club Kampala helps vulnerable kids in the slums of Uganda to survive and thrive. We are at an exciting stage of growth, and looking for an experienced and committed Treasurer to drive the charity forward.
We have grown significantly in recent years, both in impact and income. We are at an exciting stage of our organisational development, and we have a unique opportunity for a skilled, committed and passionate individual to join our ambitious and friendly team to help drive the charity forward.
The role of the Treasurer is to oversee the financial health of the charity and ensure the financial literacy of the organisation at Board level. Working closely with the Head of Finance and the CEO, the Treasurer will advise on all financial matters including regulatory compliance. They will lead the Board of Trustees on financial strategy, planning, risk and reporting.
We want to help as many children and families in Kampala’s slums as possible and aren’t afraid to be ambitious in what we aim to achieve. To do so we are looking to increase our annual income to £1 million within the next 2-3 years and are looking for trustees who will help us to do this.
The organization is in good financial shape, and we have a committed and hardworking team. However, the impact of covid-19, the cost-of-living crisis and now the devaluation of the pound are our biggest risks and causes for concern. We know this will require ongoing adaptability, resourcefulness, and creativity to face these challenges ahead. The Treasurer will play an important role in informing and shaping our strategy in this area, and guiding the organization to succeed.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Working with the Head of Finance and the CEO to ensure that the charity is financially accountable, and helping to maintain proper fiscal oversight
- Ensuring the effective and efficient financial administration of the organisation, including having appropriate financial policies, procedures and controls in place
- Overseeing the financial affairs of the charity and ensure they are legal, compliant, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice
- Leading on developing financial strategy, and providing strategic oversight and advice for the overall operations of the charity
- Monitoring and reporting on the financial health of the charity at meetings and recommending action
- Providing support with development of the annual budget, annual return and independent examination
- Attending and actively contributing to Trustee meetings
- Responding timely to emails and other forms of communication, and providing assistance and advice with making strategic decisions
- Professional accountancy experience, ideally in a charity context
- Good communication skills including the ability to translate and explain financial information to non-finance colleagues and stakeholders
- Familiar with audits and budget preparations
- Self- management, motivation and the ability to work remotely
- A willingness, energy and ability to give the time and commitment needed
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team
- An understanding of the duties and responsibilities that trustees have
- Ability to think strategically, innovatively and creatively
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Good, independent judgement
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- Committed to understanding and supporting the vision, values and mission of Kids Club Kampala
- Passion for making a difference for vulnerable children
- Experience using Xero accounting software
- Thorough understanding of the charities SORP
- Knowledge and understanding of the voluntary sector
- Previous (or current) experience as a charity treasurer or trustee
- Being sympathetic to and understanding of the Christian ethos and values of the organization
- An understanding and knowledge of Ugandan culture, customs and people
- Experience and/or interest in international development
- Experience and/or interest in supporting vulnerable children and young people
- Management experience in the public, private or voluntary sector
The role of Treasurer is so important to us - not only do we need someone to keep us on track financially and keep us viable, but even more significantly, we are looking for someone to help us formulate our strategic planning for the future. This is a great opportunity to make your mark with a charity that has ambitious plans to scale up further to ensure that all children in Kampala’s slums have the opportunity to both survive and to thrive.
What we can also offer you:
- The opportunity to make a real and lasting difference in the lives of some of the most vulnerable children in the world
- Full trustee induction and comprehensive onboarding process
- Support and guidance from a current trustee ‘buddy’
- Access to trustee training
- Personal development and learning opportunities
- Opportunity to travel to Uganda to see our work in action
- Wellbeing support plan
- Access to coaching sessions, including a StrengthsFinder assessment
- Ability to work flexibly and to attend trustee meetings remotely from the comfort of your own home
- Being part of a friendly, supportive, collaborative team
- Contribute to the future direction and sustainability of our vital work
- Maintain and broaden key skills whilst undertaking rewarding work
- Put your expertise to good use
- All reasonable travel expenses covered