We are a local charity that aims to help those experiencing poverty, homelessness and addiction. We do this through the delivery of services, including homeless accommodations, foodbanks, a rehab and a day centre.
We are looking for a Treasurer who has either an accountancy qualification or similar experience, or who has experience of charity finances. This role might suit an accountant who wants to give back in their spare time; a retired charity finance director or possibly someone who is a finance director of a company with an interest and/or understanding of charity finance.
Key skills we seek are as follows although the candidate may not have all of them:
- Will challenge, engage, and contribute to the work of the Board and the staff team in a positive manner
- Has excellent communication and listening skills, with a positive, consultative, and supportive style
- Is aware of, and able to fulfil charity trustees’ responsibilities for good and responsible governance
- Creative thinking ability.
- Willing to engage with various audiences and promote the work of the charities
- Provide staff with advice and guidance on financial matters where needed
- Can communicate finances to non-financial persons effectively
- Is experienced in financial management, ideally at a senior level in a small-medium sized charitable, public sector or commercial organisation
- Holds a recognised accountancy or finance qualification (desired, not essential)
- Has experience in the charity sector (desired, not essential)
- Sage 50 experience (not essential)
- Strong excel skills
- Be methodical, organised and consistent
- Ability to communicate clearly, in particular explain figures to other people
- Have a strong commitment to the organisation
- Proven ability to effectively communicate and simply explain financial information.
- Preparedness to make recommendations to the Board and a willingness to speak their mind with diplomacy.
- An ability to work well as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Strong analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship.
- A clear sense of professional boundaries and extremely high ethical standards.
- Commitment and ability to devote the necessary time and effort to the role.