We are an innovative organisation that encourages the people we support, its employees and members of the community to be in control of one of Wales’ largest support providers. We celebrate everyone’s contribution. We build community. We co-operate.
What will you be doing?
The Chair will work in partnership with the Chief Executive to ensure that Cartrefi Cymru has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and that the organisation, the Trustees and the Chief Executive are focused on achieving these.
There is a full role description in the candidate pack, available in both English and Welsh.
What are we looking for?
- Commitment to Cartrefi’s objectives, aims and values and willingness to devote time to carry out the duties and responsibilities of being a Trustee and Chair
- A strong and visible passion for the mission of Cartrefi
- Uphold the values and principles of working as a co-operative
- Experience of governance in the public, private or charity sectors
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues
- A commitment to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion
- Ensuring that Cartrefi has a sound and sustainable financial base
- A commitment to the Nolan seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate people
- Able to speak Welsh or willingness to learn
- Knowledge and understanding of the health and social care sector in Wales (desirable).
What difference will you make?
This is a fantastic opportunity to drive profound positive impact in people’s lives. Our core purpose is to enable the people we support to enjoy a good life. We believe in people, communities, and all the positive attitudes and behaviours that make for individual happiness and social wellbeing. We believe that by building our communities we are helping to make it more likely that everyone enjoys a good life.
In the words of our current Chair, "It is inspiring to see how Cartrefi Cymru can help so many individuals who need our expertise and we can do even more and become stronger going forward. I am due to stand down as Chair of trustees in the New Year and it has been fantastic to work with such a dedicated team of trustees, staff and volunteers to strengthen and grow Cartrefi Cymru services".
- Attend six morning/afternoon meetings per year. Three are held in-person and three remotely.
- Attend monthly 1-2-1 meetings with the Chief Executive.
The position of Chair is voluntary, but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
How to apply
Please submit your CV, LinkedIn profile or similar along with a covering letter stating why you would like to be the Board Chair of Cartrefi Cymru Co-operative and what skills and/or experience you think you can offer.
The recruitment process will involve two interviews and our current Chair, Peter Higson, and our CEO, Glyn Meredith, are both happy to speak informally to prospective candidates – please contact the TrusteeWorks Team to arrange this.
A copy of the candidate pack, in English or Welsh, is available on request.
Deadline: 20 December 2022