- Chain of Hope
- Closing date
- 16 Jun 2023
- Charity and not for profit, Board trustees
- Salary band
- Where will they be working?
- Not applicable
Are you a qualified accountant with experience of working within charities? Would you be able to volunteer two days per month to help oversee the Charity’s financial health to ensure it carries out its duties and objectives of helping children with heart disease? The role would largely oversee the sole Finance Officer in the Charity and support the CEO with the preparation of annual budgets, forecasts, statutory reporting and produce quarterly reports to the Board of Trustees as well as the annual accounts. As a Key voluntary member of the Board, the Treasurer would play a key part in the strategy and direction of the Charity.
Role description: Honorary Treasurer for Chain of Hope Charity.
- oversee all financial aspects of the charity, on behalf of the Board of Trustees, to ensure its short and long-term viability
- assist the chair, other honorary officers and the chief executive in ensuring that the Board of Trustees fulfils its duties and responsibilities in the financial governance of the charity.
Duties and tasks to fulfil the key responsibilities
In partnership with the Chief Executive, Finance Officer and Director of Operations:
- Ensure that the charity operates within the financial guidelines set out in current legislation, by the Charity Commission, in the Charity’s constitution, Company Law and by the Trustee Board.
- Ensure that the charity has adequate financial and internal controls and that these are monitored and reviewed regularly.
- To oversee the Financial operations and provide support to the Finance Officer.
- To support the CEO and Finance Officer in the financial operations of the charity.
- identify and bring to the attention of the board, any financial risks facing the charity
- ensure that the charity’s financial resources are sufficient to meet the charity’s current and future needs to advise the board on the reserves policy, and to ensure that this policy is reviewed and monitored regularly.
- Scrutinise the proposed annual budget and advise and guide the board accordingly.
- Scrutinise management accounts, performance against budget, performance targets etc, and to advise the board accordingly.
- Scrutinise and evaluate regularly the charity’s cash flow position, and to inform the board of any concerns.
- Ensure that funding received for specific purposes is separately accounted for and spent for the purposes for which it was given.
- Ensure that all income due to the charity is received and that all tax benefits are obtained and all rating relief due is claimed.
- Create forecasts for income and expenditure, and to review and monitor financial trends within the charity and the sector within which the charity operates.
- Compile end of year financial statements and accounts with the working support of the Finance Officer and CEO.
- Liaise, where necessary, with the external auditor as part of the audit process.
To assist the Chair and CEO with:
- Ensuring that the board of trustees fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of the charity.
- Ensuring that the income and property of the charity is applied for the purposes set out in the governing document and for no other purpose, and with complete fairness between persons who are properly qualified to benefit.
- Keeping the board informed of its financial duties and responsibilities.
- Advising the board on the financial implications and operational risk arising from board decisions, especially the board’s strategic and policy decisions.
- Advising, in consultation with the Chair, the Chief executive on the level, quantity and frequency of financial information and reporting required by the board to allow the board to fulfil its legal and statutory responsibilities.
- Working with the Chief Executive and Finance Officer to ensure that financial information is both accurate and presented in such a way that facilitates good financial governance.
Since 1996, Chain of Hope has been providing life-saving cardiac treatment for children from war-torn and developing countries who would otherwise find it almost impossible to receive the treatment they deserve.
The charity treats these children in two ways; by conducting teaching and training missions at cardiac units around the world, as well as, provide emergency treatment by transporting children to leading centres in the UK, Europe, Asia, India Dubai and Egypt.
These missions have two aims: to treat children suffering from life-threatening heart diseases and to provide onsite expertise and teaching for local cardiac teams.
Since our inauguration by Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub, OM, FRS, we have worked with 43 countries to save the lives of children in need.
Chain of Hope is funded entirely on donations and does not receive support from the government. Each child’s life that is saved is thanks to the kindness of our donors and supporters.
- +44 (0)20 7351 1978
Apply for Honorary Treasurer
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert