- Bi Pride UK
- N/A - voluntary role, expenses reimbursed
- Closing date
- 28 May 2023
- Charity and not for profit, Community, Equality and human rights, Board trustees, Other
- Salary band
- Part Time
- Where will they be working?
- From home
Bi Pride UK’s mission is to create spaces where people who experience attraction beyond gender can be freely visible and celebrate themselves and their identities. It’s not enough to be ‘welcome’ at a Pride. We make up a very large proportion of the queer community – many stats actually say we’re over half the community – and we deserve to be visible and celebrated in our own right.
There are many ways to make this happen, and we work in many ways to bring this change about:
- Outreach work with other Prides, LGBT organisations and bi organisations – our consultation work with local Prides, the UK Pride Organisers Network and local and national LGBT organisations works in a tailored way to make sure that bi-inclusion is a top priority and is being done well
- Organising a high-profile annual Bi Pride event – from September 2019, Bi Pride UK made history with the largest ever gathering of bi people recorded. We had a performance stage, a panel stage, stall village, street food, and over 1,300 attendees. After several virtual Pride events in 2020 and 2021, our 2022 event returned in a hybrid format, with a live stream of our two lively stages throughout the day
- Building a strong online and virtual community – just as important as the rest of our work is making sure that people hear about it! People need to know what resources and spaces exist for them, and how they can connect with other people like them
Bi Pride UK’s Trustees form the Trustee Board (Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and further Trustees responsible for individual teams). All Trustees hold legal responsibility for the effective governance of Bi Pride UK as a registered charity; this includes sound financial management of the charity’s assets and the careful determination of actions and activities in accordance with Bi Pride UK’s charitable objectives. Trustees meet at least monthly by conference call, and work as a whole to hold and determine the strategic direction of the charity. The Trustees work as a unit to meet these responsibilities, and each Trustee also works with their assigned team to turn strategic plans into delivery of Bi Pride UK’s charitable activities. Trustees may also be called upon to carry out other responsibilities as required by the charity (within their own capacity to do so).
This volunteer will take the lead on maintaining and managing Bi Pride UK’s financial systems and controls, keeping the organisation’s financial records, and managing its accounts, including preparing budgets, financial projections, issuing invoices and ensuring their payment, producing accounts and reports. They will also assist other committee members with budgeting, ensuring value for money, volunteers’ solid clear understanding of Bi Pride UK’s financial position, and co-creation and co-management of targets and departmental budgets, and will oversee all expenditure. The Treasurer manages the Finance Officer, and works closely with the web team within the Comms department to support with the online merchandise shop.
The Treasurer’s responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining financial systems and controls for Bi Pride UK;
- Maintaining up-to-date and accurate financial records for Bi Pride UK;
- Generating Bi Pride UK’s financial reports and income and expenditure projections;
- Working with the Chair to prepare the Annual Report and accounts for submission to the Charity Commission, including overseeing an independent examination or audit if turnover requires this;
- Overseeing all Bi Pride UK expenditure (within agreed financial controls), including all transactions made via its bank accounts;
- Working with department Heads and their respective Trustees to develop and manage departmental and team budgets;
- Providing regular reports to update the Trustees (and where relevant the department Heads) on Bi Pride UK’s current financial position and potential financial risks.
As a member of the Trustee Board, the Treasurer will also:
- Represent Bi Pride UK through networking opportunities with key external stakeholders;
- Support other Bi Pride UK Trustees and volunteers to ensure that the charity delivers on its objectives.
Trustees volunteer remotely from anywhere in the UK, with some travel required occasionally (primarily for our flagship Pride event in London in September and for teams away days which take place a few times a year in London). Our Trustee meetings and Trustees and Heads meetings take place via conference call on the third Monday evening of every month. All reasonable expenses incurred are reimbursed, including travel, lunch at away days and other all day events, access and support needs, and some childcare costs if required.
Why volunteer for a charity? Volunteering is an excellent way to build up your skills and add another exciting project to your CV. Bi Pride UK is growing rapidly and quickly making a name for itself in the queer communities as a historic charity. This is an excellent opportunity to grow professionally while making great change for a fantastic cause.
We are looking for someone with the following experience and skills:
- Interest and passion for tackling discrimination against and improving the visibility of people in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender;
- Some understanding of the needs of bi people and communities in the UK;
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Bi Pride UK;
- Strong time management, organisational and administrative skills;
- An understanding of governance and charity finance management tools;
- Confidence to exhibit complete independence in ensuring sound financial management;
- Excellent understanding of financial accounting processes, balance sheets and budgets, ideally with an accounting qualification;
- Meticulous attention to detail when scrutinising financial data;
- Ability to self-motivate when working remotely;
- Ability to create effective team dynamics and experience of co-development work;
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge to translate financial information for volunteers and fellow trustees.
The Treasurer will need to declare any current conflicts of interest (i.e. when you might be in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in your official capacity as Bi Pride UK Treasurer).
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert