The Bisi Alimi Foundation needs more trustees to continue its work to accelerate social acceptance of LGBT+ people in Nigeria. All can apply but if you’ve experience of fundraising or of the Nigerian political landscape then we’re particularly interested.
We’re establishing a formal presence in Nigeria, under the supervision of the English/Welsh charity, to get closer to those we serve and to improve our relationships with donors. We need to grow to do more.
That means that we need more trustees who:-
- have experience of fundraising
- have experience of financial management
- can help us meet the governance challenges that providing services in Nigeria brings, so that our dedicated staff can concentrate on proving services while we provide a secure governance framework for what they do
- if based elsewhere, can travel to Nigeria on an occasional basis
- have experience in dealing with the Nigerian political landscape and in particular with Nigerian politicians
We are particularly interested in having a diverse board and therefore we would particularly welcome trustees:-
- who are resident in Nigeria or have lived experience of that country
- who identify as female, trans or non-binary
But even if you do not have any of those skills or attributes we still want to hear from you. There is room for generalists, especially those who have been or are trustees of other charities whose aims are compatible with ours and can bring their experience to us.
The likely hours of commitment are less than 50 a year. We have on average four board meetings a year. Sometimes those that can meet in person in London but remote participation is always possible and fully acceptable. Some of us meet outside board meetings for specific tasks such as ad hoc subcommittees for particular purposes. And your advice or consent to specific issues will often be sought by email so you should be used to that way of working.
If you’re interested and want to apply please send a CV and a short personal statement indicating what you can offer to the charity and the people we serve. If you have questions or would like further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence and the Executive Director, the Chair and representatives of the Board of Trustees will need to meet you either in person or electronically. After that, before anyone is appointed, we will conduct appropriate due diligence and take up references.
The closing date for applications is 10 July 2023.