We want to strengthen our Trustee Board, which works alongside our executive team. We seek 3 hands-on Operational Trustees to join the Board & help the small Operational Team run & develop CL. We also seek 2 Classic Trustees – not involved in the day to day.
Who we are
Calais Light is a national UK charity dedicated to supporting refugees and asylum seekers in France & the UK. As a volunteer-led organisation, we keep things simple by sharing the workload between us. As a 3-part charity, our Operational needs are crucial. We partner with big brands for our #CourtCommerce initiative gifting brand-new, high-quality clothes and items to refugees; we operate weekend-only, volunteer convoys to Calais & we have a team of Befriending Volunteers in Bridging Hotels.
Time commitment required:
· 5 hours a week to reliably deliver projects or discuss key issues, plus the requirements below. You must be accessible to the Exec Team.
• Minimum commitment of approximately 6-10 hours per month.
• Attendance at board meetings, which are usually held early evening every month virtually on Teams.
• Ad hoc meetings of sub-committees.
• Time required to read reports and input to full board activity, and that of any sub-committees which you join.
Specific experience which would be desirable (but not essential) for these new roles includes:
· We favour applicants who have a ‘heart for refugees”.
· Senior operational experience in a charity, possibly in the refugee sector but happy to consider other sectors.
· Experience of managing volunteers or large groups (perhaps from a Guides/Scouts/Headteachers/Church/HR/ Retail/Holiday Tour background) and/or the assessment of volunteers who will be working with vulnerable adults.
· Knowledge of adult safeguarding, Health & Safety issues and dealing with power imbalances.
· Any one of these skills: Corporate Strategy, All things Digital, IT, Organisational Development, Finance, Fundraising, Marketing, Partnerships, Sponsorship, HR.
We welcome applications from people who are based outside the south-east as we are a completely digital organisation.
The selected candidate or candidates will work in a small, creative, growing and successful charity.
Main tasks will include:
• Responsibility along with other trustees for the governance of the charity. Support and provide advice on purpose, vision, goals and activities.
● Approving operational strategies and policies, monitoring and evaluating their implementation
• Contributing to the ongoing strategy & effectiveness of the charity, in line with our charitable objectives.
• Acting as a ‘critical friend’ to our Executive CEO and Lead Trustee.
• For one suitably experienced trustee only, taking a lead on safeguarding issues for the charity, in conjunction with the CEO and Lead Trustee. These include safeguarding for vulnerable adults (we do not work with unaccompanied children).
• For one suitably experienced trustee only, Involvement with and oversight (alongside our executive team) of the work of the Calais Light UK Befriending HUB in N. Essex. We hope to grow this into London & Kent.
• Acting as an ambassador for the charity – raising awareness of what we do and engaging potential supporters and other key stakeholders.
• Participating in board meetings and sub-committees, adequately prepared, in an inclusive and thoughtful way.
Commitment to the 7 principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.