Do you want to make a difference to the lives of children and their communities who need a little extra help? Join the brand new Maritime Children’s Foundation!
What is the Maritime Children’s Foundation?
The Maritime Children’s Foundation is a new charity being set up to provide additional support for the children and families attending Maritime Academy Trust schools. These are in Medway, Kent, Bexley and Greenwich. Initially the focus will be on:
- Support for families with children aged 0-3 so every child gets the best possible start in life from ante-natal classes, to parenting support to toddler groups.
- Creating and running a Maritime Skills Academy to provide an enriched curriculum, focused particularly on those children who don’t otherwise benefit from such experiences.
- Expanding our Community Engagement work in each school so that every school can forge closer relationships with parents and our communities.
Over time we aim to provide high quality support for every Maritime child in need.
What types of people are we looking for?
Passion and commitment to the aims of the Foundation are what we are looking for! No formal qualifications are required. We are looking for a wide range of people with a diverse set of experiences and skills, from across our community and beyond. The values and behaviours of the Foundation are set out below:
- Humour and Positivity
- Creativity and Innovation
- Humility and Honesty
- Supportiveness and Trust
What skills are we looking for?
We are looking for a wide range of skills as per the list below. But if you don’t have any of these specific skills, yet have lots of energy and enthusiasm, then do apply!
Business skills - Legal, strategy, finance and marketing/ PR
Charity skills - management and fundraising
Education experience - e.g. leaders and staff from local secondary and independent schools and also national and local government roles
Children/ community experience - experience with vulnerable children, local support services (e.g. food bank) and local families
What will the role involve?
The role of the Trustee is to ensure the Trust is being run effectively, keeps solvent and is compliant with the requirements of any UK charity. Naturally the Trustees will be advised and supported by the executive team to ensure this is all achieved, as well as commission external professionals as required. The charity is a limited company, so only the charity is liable for its debts; Trustees are protected by limited liability.
The role will typically involve:
- Support and provide advice on the Foundation’s purpose, vision, goals and activities.
- Approve operational strategies & policies, and monitor implementation.
- Oversee the Foundation’s financial plans and budgets; monitor and evaluate progress as well as approve financial statements
- Ensure that key risks are being identified, monitored and controlled effectively.
- Provide support and challenge to the CEO and executive team
The Trust Board will typically meet 6 times a year, usually in the evening. In addition, there is an AGM. These meetings are expected to be hybrid - video and in person. The need to attend other meetings and events will depend on the specific role of each trustee and the particular projects/initiatives underway at any time.