We are looking for a new Finance trustee to join our dynamic board and Finance sub committee. Based in Exeter, Balloons is a small, local child bereavement charity, supporting children and young people across Exeter, East and Mid Devon.
The Board of Trustees have overall responsibility for the governance of the charity. At the time of writing, the charity employs 6 staff – 1 full time and 5 part time staff, and has a volunteer team of 35.
The Board currently has 11 members and meets 5 times a year on a Thursday evening in Exeter. These are usually 2-hour meetings, with an extended strategy session in September. Most Trustees also sit on one of the three sub-committees (Finance, Personnel, Clinical Governance & Safeguarding). Committee meetings last 1 – 2 hours and meet 4-6 times a year, usually online.
Trustees tenure is 3 years, maximum tenure of 9 years. The Trustees work closely with the Balloons CEO to ensure the Board of Trustees fulfils its collective responsibilities
We are looking for someone
- with accountancy experience who is able to bring this knowledge and skills to the board and subcommittee to aid in decision making and strategic oversight (note the staff team are responsible for day to day management, drafting budgets and working with the auditors for the independent examination)
- who is able to work well as part of a team which is made up of professionals from a range of different backgrounds and experiences
- who is able to review information in order to make decisions
Ideally we are looking for someone local, who wants to make a difference in our locality. It would also be of benefit if the successful candidate:
- has an understanding of working with charities and the specifics of charity finance
- is a qualified accountant
- is able to bring their connections to help Balloons in its fundraising efforts
- Likes cake (!)