About Mascular Society
Macular disease is the biggest cause of sight loss in the UK, with around 300 people diagnosed every day. The Macular Society is the only charity determined to beat the fear and isolation of macular disease with world class research, and the best advice and support.
To support people affected by macular disease now, the Macular Society provides a range of support, information and services. Our research programme is focused on finding new treatments and a cure to Beat Macular Disease forever.
What will you be doing?
As Treasurer you will help the Board of Trustees to carry out their financial responsibilities. This role requires you to understand and give strategic insight and oversight to the charities financial and executive team. You will also show effective leadership to ensure the board fulfils its duties for the sound financial health of the charity, securing our financial accountability and financial sustainability.
What are we looking for?
- Knowing Our Stuff An ACA/ACCA/CIMA accounting qualification
- Extensive experience of delivering results at a senior level, specifically with developing financial strategy and governance, business planning and income generation
- Strong commercial acumen
- Making It Happen
- Ability to apply strategic vision to governance and decision making
- An ability to promote the Society and the needs of people living with macular disease to a range of external stakeholders, including influencing their behaviour
- An understanding and acceptance of legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and ability to translate them into action on behalf of the charity
- Excellent collaborative working skills and the ability to develop effective relationships to benefit the Society
- Showing We Care
- A genuine interest in the vision and purpose of the charity, with a commitment to people living with macular disease and an interest in extending their own knowledge of macular disease
- A willingness to devote time and effort to the role
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team while contributing your own viewpoint.
What difference will you make?
As a member of our Board of Trustees, you will oversee the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity and ensure that the Macular Society achieves its charitable objectives - helping us to Beat Macular Disease!
In particular you will help ensure the Board fulfils its duties in maintaining the sound financial health of the charity, with the right systems in place to secure financial accountability and sustainability.
Approximately 17 days per year. Attendance at four board meetings, one “away day” per year and preparatory work.
How to apply:
Please view the full job specification and see what our teams say about working here by visiting our website.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter via Reach in the first instance.
Deadline: 15th December 2023