Centre for Thriving Places (CTP) is a place-based not-for-profit consultancy offering strategic support, research, training and evidence-based measurement tools that put the wellbeing of people, place and planet centre stage.
The time is now to switch the economic compass from consumption and growth toward wellbeing. This is no longer niche or aspirational – it is practised by governments, communities and organisations across the world.
CTP is a globally recognised leader in supporting this shift at a place-based level - helping communities, organisations, cities and whole regions, re-focus their efforts to deliver a radically different economy today.
When fair and sustainable wellbeing is the collective goal, against which we measure success across policy and action, the outcome is a thriving and resilient local economy that works for everyone.
The Treasurer is responsible for supporting the executive in their efforts to achieve the mission, whilst safeguarding the company and the board. A finance sub-committee may be formed to assist if required.
Their obligation is:
- making sure the charity keeps proper accounts
- reviewing the charity’s financial performance
- drawing up or reviewing policies for finance and investment
- ensuring that the charity has robust and effective financial controls in place
- liaising with finance staff and with the charity’s independent examiner or auditor
- reporting on financial matters to the members, in a membership charity
Alongside the Treasurer, the Chief Executive is responsible for procurement and budgeting of new and existing projects. A business development group may be formed to assist at the beginning of each new planning cycle. The Head of Operations is responsible for managing bookkeeping/accountancy services, and for overseeing the budgetary performance of projects.
Tasks for the treasurer
Alongside the roles required of all board members, the board role includes the following:
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation, ensuring they’re legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice
- Ensure proper bookkeeping records are kept with effective financial procedures in place
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits
- Provide ad hoc support where required to the Operations team to review funding bids, business plans, financial targets, salaries and recruitment strategies