Surrey Family and Mediation Services is looking for a new Finance Trustee to join its Board of Trustees.
This is an unpaid voluntary role requiring around 5 hours per month
Surrey Family & Mediation Service is a charity established in 1981 providing high quality professional family mediation services, supporting the needs of separating couples, families and vulnerable children.
Our charity provides specialist services through a qualified and professional staff working in mediation and child consultations. We are affiliated to the College of Mediators and the Family Mediation Council, and our mediation services are delivered in accordance with the Legal Aid Agency (Mediation Quality Mark).
What will you be doing?
- To support all members of the Board in having the required level of insight and understanding of the status of the Charity’s financial affairs.
- To keep the Board abreast of the key financial challenges and opportunities facing the Charity and to make appropriate recommendations.
- To draw the attention of the Board to adverse trends and anomalies and to propose alternative courses of action. To ensure financial viability within agreed policies set by the Board.
- To advise the Board of Trustees of the possible financial implications of both operational and strategic decisions.
- To ensure compliance to all legal and regulatory accounting standards.
- To ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained as appropriate and required.
- To support the Service Manager to ensure that appropriate financial processes and controls are in place.
What are we looking for?
In addition to the qualities needed by all trustees, the Finance Trustee / Treasurer should also possess the following:
- An appropriate financial qualification. Broad financial experience and business planning skills.
- Would ideally have experience of charity finance at a strategic level including fundraising.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- A preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the Board.
- Ability to educate and enhance the presentation of financial information to ease the dissemination by those not financially trained.
- Willing to support the Service Manager and other members of staff to ensure proper financial processes and reporting are in place, and to identify opportunities for optimisation.
What difference will you make?
This is an exciting but challenging time for Surrey Family and Mediation Services as it enters a new phase after a financial restructuring to control costs and return the charity to financial viability. As an experienced finance professional you will have the opportunity to enhance our financial insights for decision making by the Board. Candidates should empathise with the challenges faced by separating families seeking mediation.