We are seeking a qualified individual who is knowledgeable in Charity Finance reporting.
To apply please submit your written application and CV via email to Caron Moor, Governance Coordinator at email@example.com by Friday 23rd February 2024. Please note, this is a voluntary position and whilst this role doesn’t carry a salary reasonable out of pocket expenses will be paid.
A Lay Trustees is being sought for the registered charity the University of Essex Students’ Union (UESU). In this role you will be one of three Lay Trustees, who will support the elected Sabbatical Officers and Student Trustees to maintain good financial and legal governance of the University of Essex Students’ Union as required by the Charities Commission.
This is a varied and interesting voluntary position which will see you engage with and support the Trustee Board to make significant decisions around the direction and development of the Students’ Union for the benefit of all its members.
About the Lay Trustee Role
1. What you will do
You will attend full Trustee Board meetings (6 meetings per year which are usually September, November, January, March, April and June), and will be a member of the Audit & Risk Committee (up to 6 meetings per year which take place ahead of the Trustee Board) as well as invitations to attended relevant events to support the activities and the development of the SU. You will provide solid advice to the Trustee Board to assist with decision making and will challenge current practice and processes to ensure the SU meets its aims whilst operating in a responsible manner
- To ensure the University of Essex Students’ Union (UESU) works in accordance with the Articles of Governance
- To ensure that UESU uses its resources effectively and does not spend money on activities outside it’s remit, no matter how worthwhile or charitable these activities are
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the SU, agreeing and monitoring overall strategy. Setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name, reputation and values of the Students’ Union
- To ensure the financial stability of UESU
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and ensure proper investment of the charity’s funds
- To ratify the appointment of the Chief Executive and monitor their performance
- Trustees are expected to use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions, this will involve scrutinising board papers, Leading discussions, Focusing on key issues, Providing guidance on new initiatives, Guidance on others areas in which the Trustee has specific expertise
- Trustees will be expected to have an awareness of the Charity Commission’s guidance on external trustees ‘CC3’ by following this link: www.charitycommission.gov.uk/publications/cc3.asp
- Trustees are expected to portray a positive image, both internally and externally of UESU by displaying high standards of service, integrity, punctuality, politeness and professionalism
- Knowledge of Charity Finance Reporting
- Commitment to devoting the necessary time and attention to the role of Lay Trustee
- Enthusiasm for supporting charities and / or education
- Ability to think strategically and to focus on the whole picture
- Understanding the role of Lay Trustee including legal responsibilities
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team with diverse levels of experience
- Ability to make and express independent judgements
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and groups
- Adherence to Nolan’s seven principles of public life – selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Technical knowledge to assist management and other trustees. E.g. legal, financial, human resources, governance etc
- Understanding of Students’ Unions / Universities or the Higher Education Sector
- Experience or knowledge of working with charities
- Live within a commutable radius of UESU main campus, based in Colchester
If this sounds like the kind of place you want to get involved in then we would love to hear from you! For full details about this great voluntary role please email Caron Moor, Governance Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find out more about the University of Essex Student Union here: www.essexstudent.com
Stage 1 – Submission
Please submit your written application and CV via email to Caron Moor, Governance Coordinator at email@example.com by Friday 23rd February 2024.
The SU President, Lay / Student Trustee will review all submissions and invite successful individuals to Stage 2 interview.
Stage 2 – Interview
You will be invited to campus* to interview for the position with the SU President, 1 current Lay Trustee, 1 current Student Trustee and HR Representative.
*Ideally interviews will be delivered face to face, however, should this not be possible we can revert to Zoom.
Job Type: Volunteer
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 23/2/2024