We are currently looking for a Voluntary Treasurer to sit on the Board of Brockwell Park Community Greenhouses and help us manage the finances.
Brockwell Park Community Greenhouses (BPCG) is a beautiful community garden situated in the middle of Brockwell Park in Herne Hill. (include website address) We are a registered charity (and a registered company limited by guarantee) and fully committed to diversity and inclusivity and we would like our board of trustees to reflect this.
We employ three part-time staff who offer a wide range of volunteering opportunities in our garden, an education programme for local schools and families as well as a programme of adult work-shops in horticulture, woodworking, preserving and fermentation and crafts. Our new Barn provides a wonderful indoor space for our music and community events with a large teaching kitchen, classroom and toilet facilities.
This voluntary position as Treasurer and Trustee is done for the most part at any time of day. However, an ability to do a small part of this during normal office hours would also be useful. In addition, trustees meet monthly in the evenings from 6.30 to 8 at the Greenhouses.
Our Treasurer has overall responsibility for our finances and management responsibility for a volunteer who does our book-keeping and supports our three part time staff. Key areas of responsibility include:
- Presenting monthly financial reports and annual report to the AGM
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and presented in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, for example the Charity Commission and/or the Registrar of Companies.
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- Liaising with other Trustees and paid staff to prepare annual budgets
- Advising on the financial implications of strategic plans
- Ensuring that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the charity
- Keeping the Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities, including its reserves policy
We are looking for candidates with experience in the following:
- Financial qualifications and proven experience from either and/or commercial or NGO sector.
- The charity is VAT registered. Experience of preparing and reviewing quarterly returns (partial exemption and capital good scheme calculations is not necessary and can be taught by the existing Treasurer)
- Experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes and the financial requirements of a company limited by guarantee and its trading subsidiary.
- Knowledge of Quickbooks would be helpful.
Expressions of interests should be sent to the email@example.com. When doing so please describe why you would like to apply and what skills and experience you could bring to the role.