The Mary Ward Settlement (MWS) is looking for a Treasurer to succeed the current Treasurer when she steps down in 2024. The MWS is additionally looking for a Deputy Treasurer to support the Treasurer role.
This is an important position for Mary Ward. The role of the Treasurer Trustee is to maintain an overview of the organisation’s financial affairs, ensure its continued viability and ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. Your input will help us continue our work to empower people to enrich and transform their lives, in a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere. The Settlement is comprised of The Mary Ward Adult Education Centre; The Mary Ward Legal Centre, which provides free legal advice and representation on issues related to debt, housing and welfare benefits to people on low incomes; and Blackfriars Settlement which works with older people and those with mental health issues. Key responsibilities and personal qualities for the Treasurer's role is below.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and experiences. We particularly welcome interest from individuals from the diverse local communities MWS serves. Being a trustee will enable you to both contribute your current skills and experience to MWS and build new skills, knowledge and experience for yourself.
The application closing date is 31st March 2024.
In addition to the general responsibilities of a Trustee, the particular duties of the Treasurer Trustee include the following:
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements.
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs including the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans.
- Act as the Chair of the Finance Committee (see Committees Terms of Reference).
- Be a member of the Audit & Risk Committee, Governance and Nominations Committee and HR & Remuneration Committee as well as any working groups where finance representation may be required from time to time.
- Ensuring that the organisation has appropriate policies, procedures and controls in place.
- With the Director of Finance & Resources, preparing and presenting financial reports to the Trustee board.
- Liaising with Director of Finance & Resources, Warden and other members of SMT about financial matters.
- Ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented.
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, for example, meeting the Charity Commission filing deadlines.
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities.
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation.
- With the Director of Finance & Resources, agree on a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to the important points in a coherent and easily understandable way.
In addition to the general qualities required for a Trustee, the Treasurer Trustee should have the following qualities:
- Extensive working experience of accounting/financial management
- Hold a relevant financial qualification
- Experience of finance, fundraising and pension schemes
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- Being prepared to make unpopular recommendations to the board
- Able to foster collegial working relationships with staff and board members
- A willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
If you are interested in joining the MWS Board and make a real difference to lives of many across the communities we serve please submit a covering letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org.