We are seeking a treasurer for our charity, we are based on a small site on the banks of Deptford Creek in South East London and offer a unique opportunity to safely access and explore the river bed at low tide. The site is managed for wildlife and over 300 species of wildflowers have been recorded. The purpose built Creekside Discovery Centre opened in 2002 and is equipped with offices, a classroom and full facilities.
The treasurer also has some specific responsibilities, the overall role of a treasurer is to maintain an overview of the organisation's affairs, ensuring its financial viability and that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
Responsibilities are as follows:
• Working with the Manager, and in liaison with the book-keeper and the Independent Examiner, to ensure the production of key financial documentation including the annual budget, the annual statutory accounts and monthly management accounts.
• Ensuring that the accounts are disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, including the Charity Commission.
• Ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented.
• Ensuring that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs, including that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy, and contributing to the fund-raising strategy of CET.
• To be a bank signatory for CET and authorise online payments.
• Ensuring that equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured.
• Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
• Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities and supporting the board to fulfil these.
• Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate investment policy and that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the charity.
• Liaising with staff and volunteers about financial matters.
• Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
• Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans.
• Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
Person specification for the treasurer In addition to the general responsibilities for all trustees as set out above, the Treasurer also needs additional skills and experience: 1. Work experience in the field of finance, ideally a financial qualification. 2. An understanding of budgets and of management and statutory accounts. 3. A knowledge of charity-specific financial matters such as restricted funding – or the ability and willingness to learn about such matters. 4. The ability to explain financial matters to people who don’t have specialist financial knowledge. 5. The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences 6. Being prepared to make unpopular recommendations to the Board
Submit a short overview of what excites you about being trustee with Creekside, and what you think you can bring to the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. This could be in the form of a letter, email, video or another format of your choosing. Please share a CV or Linked In profile link with your submission. Check out what we are up to Creekside Discovery Centre Board of Trustees (creeksidecentre.org.uk)