Redthread empowers young people to thrive as they navigate the challenging transition to adulthood by integrating trauma-informed youth work into the health sector. Whether a young person has been the victim of a stabbing, is seeking support for anxiety, has suffered a sexual assault, or wants to find a new home beyond the reach of a gang, we support them to overcome the challenges they face through our dynamic youth work programmes at The Well Centre in Streatham and in our hospital-based violence intervention work in London and the Midlands.
What will you be doing?
The charity currently has 6 Trustees including a skilled and experienced Chair. To reflect the size and complexity of our operations and to make sure going forward that the infrastructure can support our provision effectively, we are looking to add at least four further Trustees to our Board. Our headquarters are in London but to reflect our work in the Midlands and to support our sites there, we are looking for at least one of our new Trustees to be Midlands based.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, its financial health, the probity of its activities, and developing the organisation’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, legal and regulatory guidelines. All Trustees should also be aware of, and understand, their individual and collective responsibilities, and should not be overly reliant on one or more individual Trustees in any particular aspect of the governance of the charity.
This is a genuinely fantastic opportunity to utilise your skills and experience to support a truly ground breaking charity. Redthread are an impactful, innovative and award winning charity working across London and the Midlands. We are seeking at least four additional Trustees to support us in our work in Youth Violence Intervention, Young Women's Services and other health based youth work.
While we are headquartered in London, to reflect the work we carry out in the Midlands and to support our activity there, we would like to appoint at least one Midlands based Trustee. We hold four Board meetings a year which will be held in London.
This role is mainly home-based.
Please refer to the candidate pack for a more detailed description of the Trustee role. This is available, on request, by emailing Reach Volunteering’s TrusteeWorks team at firstname.lastname@example.org
What are we looking for?
We are looking for individuals who have a strong empathy with our mission to help young people navigate the challenging transition to adulthood by embedding youth workers in health settings.
We welcome applications from candidates with knowledge and background across the following areas:
- Finance and investments, preferably with an accountancy background
- Fundraising, including voluntary and statutory funding experience, as well as major donors and/or corporate partnerships
- Clinical, medical trauma and/or adolescence health including mental health
- Human Resources and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- The criminal justice system
- The youth sector at a strategic level
- Lived experience of the issues faced by the children and young people is also welcomed, as well as regional representation outside of London
- Successful experience of operating within a Board in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation
- Demonstrable experience of building and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues to achieve organisational objectives
- A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making
- A history of impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences
- A track record of commitment to promoting equity, diversity and inclusion
Attributes and understanding
- Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the Board, and a willingness to speak their mind
- Willingness to learn about our frontline work and engage with our staff team appropriately
- Good, independent judgement and strategic vision
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and Chief Executive
What difference will you make?
This is an exciting time to join the Trustee Board at Redthread as we consolidate our reach and our pioneering services and partnerships. Our new Trustees will play a key role in enabling us to continue to amplify the voices of children and young people and use our evidence and insights from working with them to adapt and innovate our work, support service improvement and influence regional and national government. The role will enable you to put your professional skills to great use to the benefit of 11-25 year olds who are affected by a range of complex vulnerabilities. It will also give you the opportunity to develop your insight and expertise in all that is involved in the governance of an award winning and inspirational charity.
One to three hours per week. Four Board meetings per year, with potential for further involvement in Board Subcommittees. See candidate pack for further details.
Before you apply
Redthread are working with both the Reach Volunteering TrusteeWorks team and Inclusive Boards on their Board recruitment. The TrusteeWorks team will be handling all initial queries and applications.
Please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation and how your skills would add value to the Board. These should be returned to the Reach Volunteering TrusteeWorks team at email@example.com.